Sunday, March 13, 2011

More Stuff from Book Illustration and Concepts 2...


"Under The Rug: Two Weeks Passed and It Happened Again" (color version)
Pencil, colored in photoshop



"Under The Rug: Two Weeks Passed and It Happened Again" (BW version)
Pencil

For book illustration I had to do a black and white illustration (wound up coloring it for fun) to the phrase "Under the rug: two weeks passed and it happened again." This is what I came up with.

The phrase originally belongs to an illustration by the illustrator Chris Van Allsburg. You can view it by clicking here.

And if you can view more of his work because he's an amazing illustrator!


"Balloon Field"
Pencil

For Concepts I had to do a small black and white illustration to an article about the Haiti earthquake. In the article, there was a detail about how thousands of white balloons were let go in the sky to symbolize the people who died in the quake. I decided to base my drawing on that, yep...

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I LOVE this! It is both happy and sad, both light and serious. And the souls, floating from earth up to heaven, free, and yet bound, limited by the confining realities of their earthly lives. Still shadowed, yet lightening as they rise. I can imagine the balloons popping as they rise high, setting them free. But the girl(?) in the field won't see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your "Under the rug" illustration! It's so weird, quirky, but cute. I personally prefer the colored version myself (loving the color scheme), but the black & white is really successful too. :)

    The Haiti/balloon piece is very moving. I think I wouldn't have been able to tell what was going on without your description, but it's still cool because it can be used in various other contexts. Or as an editorial piece in conjunction with an article about the Haiti earthquake would be perfect for it. :)

    ReplyDelete